Federal Regulation and State Authorization

The US Department of Education (DoE) sets regulations regarding program integrity and student financial aid for distance education programs. These regulations introduce guidance for institutions and acknowledge the authority of each state to determine criteria for institutions operating or offering education within that state. These regulations also offer institutions guidelines to maintain student eligibility for federal financial aid.

National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA)

The University of Minnesota belongs to NC-SARA, a member supported nonprofit organization which coordinates and communicates DoE regulations on behalf of members and also eases the way for institutions to offer learning activities outside of their home state.

Out-of-State Educational Activities

Federal regulations require academic programs to report when students are placed outside of the State of Minnesota in certain learning activities required for degree completion.

Examples of these activities may include:

  • internships
  • field experiences
  • clinical placements
  • student teaching, etc.

Academic programs are required to record out-of-state educational activities for the previous calendar year (January-December) to NC-SARA each spring.

Please use this Google Form to record out-of-state educational activities in your academic area for the previous calendar year. You will be required to enter the program CIP code, the location of the placement (State), and number of students placed in the state. Please complete this report by the first Friday in April.

Professional Licensure Disclosures

Effective July 1, 2020, regulation 34 CFR 668.43(a)(5)(v) requires that any academic programs that lead to a license required for practice in a field must make public and direct disclosures to potential and enrolled students whether it is determined that the program meets, does not meet, or it is undetermined if the program meets the educational requirements for licensure within any given state.

Programs by campus

Crookston | Duluth | Morris | Rochester

University of Minnesota Twin Cities

Center for Allied Health Programs

College of Biological Sciences

College of Continuing and Professional Studies

School of Dentistry

College of Design

College of Education and Human Development

College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences

Law School

College of Liberal Arts

College of Science and Engineering

Medical School

School of Nursing

College of Pharmacy

Humphrey School of Public Affairs

School of Public Health

College of Science and Engineering

College of Veterinary Medicine

University of Minnesota Crookston

Crookston Programs

University of Minnesota Duluth

Duluth Programs

University of Minnesota Morris

Morris Programs

University of Minnesota Rochester

Rochester Programs

Student Complaint Resolution

University of Minnesota students enrolled in online and distance courses should attempt to resolve complaints by following the Academic Grievance Procedure as outlined in their campus catalog (CrookstonDuluthMorrisRochester, and Twin Cities).

For distance education students residing outside of Minnesota, if a complaint cannot be resolved at the campus level, students may address complaints to the Minnesota Office of Higher Education.

Students from NC-SARA states other than Minnesota may also contact their state agency for further information about resolving complaints.