GRAD 5105: Practicum in University Teaching for Nonnative English Speakers focuses on the application of teaching and learning theories in an authentic classroom situation. This course is for international students with an English Language Proficiency rating of 2.
You'll participate in an interactive, one-hour lecture each week, during which you'll discuss research and topics associated with teaching and learning. The weekly one-hour practicum is designed to help you improve your teaching and oral communication skills.
Upon successful completion of this course, you'll be able to:
- relate critical reflection to effective teaching & learning,
- identify and appropriate language for use with your University of Minnesota students,
- articulate clearly and speak comprehensibly using both technical and non-technical terms,
- engage students through active listening and effective questioning,
- recognize cross-cultural similarities and differences in teaching/learning, and
- identify and use basic presentation strategies.