GRAD 5102: Preparation for University Teaching for Nonnative Speakers of English is for students who have an ELP (English Language Proficiency) rating of 4.
This course focuses on interactive, evidence-based teaching and communication strategies that will help you be a successful TA. Each week, you'll attend a one-hour workshop and a one-hour language lab session.
By successfully completing this course, you'll be able to:
- identify and use strategies for effective organization and interaction in the classroom,
- identify and demonstrate behaviors that create rapport,
- identify and apply strategies for effective use of visual aids,
- develop awareness of cross-cultural communication issues,
- critically reflect on your language performance and develop a learning plan for how to continue to improve, and
- combine the skills learned throughout the semester into a cohesive, effective lesson.