As a UMN student, you can take the Spoken English Test for Teaching Assistants once every 12 months. If you are enrolled in one of our courses (CSE:TALK summer program, GRAD 5105, or GRAD 5102), you can take the SETTA one year after your final exam for that course. We recognize that there are reasonable exceptions to the one-year waiting period. To request an exception, a department representative may contact Alyssa Bonnac.
The SETTA is currently conducted online over Zoom and includes two presentations with Q&A (Questions & Answers) in the presence of two raters and an undergraduate student.
At this time, we are giving priority to those who do not have a TOEFL or IELTS speaking score from any date. If you have a TOEFL or IELTS score, you can use that to determine your ELP rating. Learn the meaning of your score by visiting this TA Eligibility page.
If you do not have a TOEFL or IELTS speaking score, you can schedule your SETTA appointment by using this SETTA registration form. After answering several questions including uploading an image of yourself, you will be asked to list 3 or 4 choices of dates and times from the list of available SETTA times below. Your SETTA registration is complete when you receive a confirmation message.
Available SETTA Dates/Times
Appointments are between 25 and 30 minutes. On the SETTA registration form, you'll be asked to list the dates/times when you are available based on options listed below.
- October 17: 9:30 a.m.
- October 24: 9:00 a.m. and 9:30 a.m.
- October 31: 9:30 a.m.
- November 2: 3:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- November 9: 3:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- November 21: 9:00 a.m. and 9:30 a.m.
- November 28: 9:00 a.m. and 9:30 a.m.
- November 30: 3:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- December 14: 10:00 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 11:00 a.m., and 11:30 a.m.
- December 19: 9:30 a.m., 10:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m., 1:30 p.m., 2:00 p.m., and 2:30 p.m.
- December 21: 9:30 a.m., 10:00 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 1:00 p.m., 1:30 p.m., 2:00 p.m., and 2:30 p.m.
For more information contact Alyssa Bonnac (include your student ID).